Monday, May 14, 2018

Day 8: Pizza and Eurovision

Today, Snaedis rearranged our schedule so that we did one, long day shift and had the night off to experience pizza and Eurovision! Many new sheep were turned outside today, and the weather was fairly nice.

I assisted with one interesting delivery where both babies were quite large (10-12 lbs or around 5kg). I helped the mother a little with the first one, as it had horn buds, but she required no help at all with his smaller sister. Often, when a large lamb is born, they've been a little starved of oxygen and can be a little lethargic, but the little ram lamb was up and on his feet in under 5 minutes, and his sister was similar.
I dubbed him the superlamb, but really it's the mom that's super. 
Carly had a bit of a rough time, as she assisted with two deliveries in a row where one of the lambs had been dead for some time before delivery. Fortunately the group pens with frolicking lambs are very therapeutic, so she sat with them for a while and felt better.

Some more snuggle buddies.

Lamb puddle
We also had some sheep escapades. I had a few sheep escape on me when I was going to move one into a jug but fortunately Snaedis's parents were on the case, and they got them back in the pen with ease. I think her dad even enjoyed the challenge. Later, a sheep who was being transferred decided to abandon her lambs and run in the opposite direction. I put up a gate in her way and she just jumped over it! We recaptured her and reunited the little family.

Eurovison was quite something. We struggled a bit with the whole "well, it's not necessarily who sings the best" concept,  especially Carly, the only singer among us. She was really rooting for Estonia. I guess there was a stage jumper, but I missed that part, much to my disappointment, because I was busy helping with the pizza half of pizza and Eurovision night. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed Eurovision much by myself, but watching with a group, with nice food and some beer, was very fun!

A group pen with a leadersheep and lambs. 

Sassy leader lamb. I believe sassy is the only flavor they come in.

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking forward to each of your blog posts. Such great descriptions of new life on the Hestur Farm, and so many great pictures! I am sure that your hosts are very happy to have you all on lambing watch. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete