Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Sun was out today!


Today was a beautiful day in Borgarfjordur.  It has rained nearly every day for a month , hailed, and been quite windy so a beautiful day, one where only a sweatshirt is needed and not a jacket is a big deal! The birds have begun to chirp and the grass if finally becoming lush and green. Melissa and I continue to power wash our shifts away.

Here is a picture of Melissa in our everyday garb.Face shield is not optional, unless you want to pick sheep poop out of your teeth...












 Here is a clean pen! Awe yeah













I continue to rub mint cream on our lopsided mastitis ewe. Here is a picture of her udder. The right side is actually the normal side. The larger side is still sensitive to the touch and needs to have the pressure relieved/milked out. She is on a cocktail of antibiotics and seems to be improving as today she tried to kick me less haha.




Here are some photos from inside the barn. This first on I call. Motherhood. Our leader lambs. Eating hay and looking at me as if to say, we are adults now.



Below are two beautiful pregnant ewes still to give birth.






Here are some more pictures of lambs and mums around the home fields. The landscape looks so fake in pictures. No matter how long I stand outside, I do not get used to this view.





    I love this picture. haha

  The- Its time to stop ramming my udder move




A yearling and her lamb enjoying the warm gravel



I spent the afternoon with the horses. A new foal has arrived( the black one). When I go visit the horses I approach the pregnant mares first, and offer them some second cut timothy. Once they have inspected and approved of my presence I move closer to the mares with foals. This seems to be a good initiation into the herd. Today the foals slept and I felt lucky that the mums allowed them  to continue to sleep while I snapped pictures.







Iceland gets so much rain that the fields must have drainage ditches set into them. Here is a cool picture of a bridge to allow the ewes and lambs to cross from field to field.





  A beautiful day here at Hestur. I feel so blessed to be here. 

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, Melissa! Now you can sing and power wash at the same time without the fear of getting a mouthful of flying poop!! (I'm jealous)

    ReplyDelete